Financial Information for Graduate Students in the Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- 8 months for MSc Statistics coursework students
- 16 months for MSc Statisitics thesis students
- 10 months for MSc Math project students
- 20 months for thesis MSc Math thesis students
- Four years for PhD Math students.
(We do not provide financial support for M-Phimac students.)
In the academic year 2016-17 graduate students in Mathematics and Statistics (except for M-Phimac students) will be funded through a combination of departmental scholarships, teaching assistantships and research scholarships and are provided the following minimum annual income (prorated for shorter periods):
- $18200 for Stats MSc students
- $24500 for Math MSc project students
- $27000 for Math MSc thesis students
- $28000 for Math PhD students
(Tuition and fees will be deducted from these amounts. An additional tuition bursary is given to international students to help with the higher tuition costs.)
In addition, there are a number of excellent scholarship opportunities for new and continuing students. These scholarships replace our departmental scholarships, but they can be combined with teaching assistantships and research scholarships.
For instance, holders of an Ontario Graduate Scholarship (for which every applicant to McMaster is automatically considered) will typically be provided an annual income of:
- $32000 for MSc students in year 1 and the regular amount in year 2,
- $33000 for PhD students for one year, and the regular amount for the other years.
Holders of an NSERC graduate scholarship (CGS-M or PGS-D) will typically be provided an annual income of:
- $34000 for MSc students in year 1 and an OGS in year 2,
- $35000 for PhD students for three years, and the regular amount for the other year.
Note that the application deadline for CGS-M is December 1. Please indicate McMaster as one of your choices on your CGS-M application, and note that you also need to submit a regular application to our graduate program in order to be considered for the CGS-M here.