July 2011 Archives
July 28, 2011
- the message does not have my name or the name of another RHPCS staff member in it
- if you hover of the URL in the message (or view the raw text of the message), you will see that the link goes to another server altogether.
July 22, 2011
July 21, 2011
- fink and all fink-installed apps (found under /sw) will need to be recompiled
- the new Mail app is not working with the mathmail.mcamster.ca IMAP server;
I haven't got this sorted out yet
- you need to 1) make sure that your ms.mcmaster.ca password is shorter than thirteen characters; 2) either turn SSL off and back on or recreate your mathmail account settings; details here. (updated 2011/0802)
- it works with Univmail and Gmail just fine, though
- XCode (gcc et al.) is not included with the Lion download, but you can install it (for free) from the App Store.
- neither is Java included as part of the Lion installation, but it can be downloaded (for free) from Apple (though not from the App Store, oddly); see http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1421.
the XQuartz build of X11 has some window-focussing issues; the stock OS X X11 appears to work better(it's been several years since that has been the case)
- the XQuartz release of X11 of 2011/07/20 works perfectly well on Lion, though the stock version seems to work just fine, too. (updated 2011/07/27)
- autos does not follow certain NFS (e.g. /net/hal/share/macos) properly. Or rather, it follows the specs very strictly, and so certain types of exports which other autofs implementations (e.g. OS X 10.6, most linuxes) have no trouble with, just give errors. This may be tweakable.
- MacTeX/TeXLive works just fine; if you were using teTeX via fink, you should take the opportunity to switch to MacTeX (the Mac bundle which contains TeXLive)
July 19, 2011
R has been upgraded to version 2.13.1 on the ms workstations and compute servers.
All previously requested packages for R and BioConductor should be available in this newest build; please let us know if you find any problems.
July 15, 2011
We've contacted UTS and confirmed that the McMaster VPN service is down as of some time on Thursday.